Ostomy Supplies & Resources for Calgary, Edmonton, and Alberta Residents
As the Canadian province with the highest population growth rate (as per 2017 data), Alberta is also home to a disproportionately high number of ostomates. For instance, a study conducted by the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of Canada found that the province has the second highest rate of Crohn’s in the country. For every 100,000 Albertans, 16.5 have the disease.
And while the overall population pales compared to that of Ontario, the demand for information, products, and supplies to support a healthy and active lifestyle may be greater than anywhere else in Canada. Cities such as Edmonton, Calgary, and Red Deer exhibit especially high-volumes of ostomy supply sales. As the country’s one-stop resource for those who have received a colostomy, ileostomy, or urostomy, Inner Good answers that demand.
Ostomy Supplies Coverage Alberta
I. Alberta Aids to Daily Living (AADL)
Alberta’s Alberta Aids to Daily Living (AADL) benefits program helps qualified residents pay for ostomy supplies by reimbursing a portion of their expenditure. Alberta residents who have a permanent colostomy, ileostomy, urostomy and hold a valid Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) card may qualify for the program.
Unlike some provinces, quantities (and thus coverage) is determined based on a patient’s basic needs, not quantity maximum. Thus, while different types of pouch systems may be authorized for a patient – the total quantity must not exceed the maximum limit of a single type. In addition, quantities of ostomy pouches cannot be added together to increase quantity limit. While the coverage process for Albertans may seem a bit convoluted, it can work to your benefit if your unique needs exceed traditional maximum dollar amounts found in other provinces.
Concerns About AADL
There is one issue. Because AADL requires that you buy from their list of approved vendors, you are limited in your choice of ostomy supply brands and thus may not have access to everything you need to optimize your lifestyle. In addition, remember that coverage is set by a patient’s basic needs. If you intend on living beyond the basics, you will likely have to spend beyond your provincial provided coverage, at which point you will need the most cost effective solution to buying ostomy supplies online.
II. Supplementary Health Plans for Alberta Residents
Because you may not receive adequate coverage through AHCIP and AADL, you may have opted for a personal health insurance plan. If you’re fortunate, your employer may have provided you with group plan benefits. Many ostomates know that these plans can be essential to covering the gaps that can have a significant impact on your financials. While Inner Good does not endorse any particular personal health care plan provider, we do know that the following provide ostomy supply coverage for Alberta residents who do participate:
- SunLife Financial
- Alberta Blue Cross
- Great West Life
Ostomy Supplies Covered in Alberta
Whether covered through AADL and/or a personal or group health insurance plan you can recoup a significant portion of your ostomy supply expenses, which include:
- Stoma pouches/containers
- Applicane tubes and catheters
- Additional accessories associated with using the enteral feeding pump
Given the unique nature of ostomy supply coverage in Alberta, you will want to contact your insurance provider for a clear accounting of which expenses you can be reimbursed for.
Where to Buy Ostomy Supplies in Alberta
As Alberta’s leading online provider of ostomy supplies, Inner Good is not only versed in the challenges of ostomates, our team includes known members of the ostomy community. Together, the team works closely with Alberta Health Care Professionals to ensure that your individual needs are met. We offer:
- Easy Online Purchasing – Order your supplies from our online shop and receive FREE shipping right to your door with a $100 minimum purchase (beating the alternative who is $150!)
- Pay with Extended Medical Insurance – Get your order paid for using your workplace Extended Medical Insurance, Veterans Affairs, and 3rd Party Insurance Agencies such as WCB. Call 1.844.466.3939. Users can simply call for direct assistance or submit their insurance details at the Checkout.*
- Discreet and Quick Delivery – Your order is processed immediately and automatically slated for shipping. Your supplies will arrive within 1 – 3 business days and in discreet packaging at the Alberta address of your choice.
- Full Support – Your first purchase order is just the beginning. At that point you have entered into a relationship with Inner Good. That means you can call or email us with your questions about shipping, product information, wellness concerns, and special promotions. Many customers are taking advantage of our free skype consultations with an ET Nurse. Begin that conversation today by calling us at 1.844.466.3939, complete the form found here, or connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Do you as an Alberta resident have other questions about living with a Stoma? View the following information resources from Inner Good: